Seth Vaughan | Photos by Jenny Antill
- June 18, 2012
- Event Date:
- November 09, 2011
It was cocktails for all when the Julia Ideson Library Preservation Partners celebrated the grand opening of the building whose restoration and expansion was spearheaded by the civil-minded board chairman Phoebe Tudor. The original structure, designed by Boston-based architect Ralph Adams Cram, opened in 1926 and served as the city’s central library until 1976. Today it functions as an archive for the Houston Metropolitan Research Center, housing such items as the personal papers of many of our late civic leaders, thousands of historical books and maps, and a photographic library of four million images. Bibliophiles: Houston Public Library director Rhea Lawson, Peggy Brian and son-in-law Bobby Tudor, Margaret Williams, Jay Jones, Cyvia Wolff, Betty and Stephen Newton, and project architect Barry Moore of Gensler.