Revive Development for redeveloping an Art Deco commercial building (ca. 1930) in the Houston Heights / photo by Anne Marie D'Arcy Photography
Houston Independent School District for preserving the historic building at Milby High School (1926) in Harrisburg / photo by Shau Lin Hon
Chas Haynes for repurposing one of Houston’s first Gulf service stations (1921) in Midtown / photo by Jim Parsons
Electra & Douglas Elliott for restoring the George & Emma Westfall House (1905) in the Westmoreland Historic District / photo by Zac Seewald Photography
Kip Platt / Provident Realty Group for repurposing the Texas Company Building (1915, 1936, 1959) in downtown Houston / photo by Jim Parsons
Genevieve Withers for rehabilitating the Minnie & Joseph Blazek House (1909) in the Heights West Historic District / photo by Ben Koush
Caspian Enterprises for repurposing the former Waddell’s Furniture Warehouse (1913) as Sampson Lofts in the East End / image courtesy of Cisneros Design Studio
Pier & Beam Future Landmark Award: New Hope Housing at Brays Crossing / photo by Bruce Glass Photography
Adam Brackman, Monte Large and Jeff Kaplan for renovating and repurposing the Axelrad Building (ca. 1915) in Midtown / photo by Nelson Vanegas/Goodspero
Angela Bishop for renovating the Ferdinand G. Schoelkopf House (1892) in the Old Sixth Ward Historic District / photo courtesy of Angela Bishop
Development Services Group, Inc. for restoring the Melrose Building (1952) in downtown Houston / photo by Jim Parsons
Claire & Jeff Granberry for restoring the Ewart H. Lightfoot House (ca. 1925) in the Audubon Place Historic District / photo by Jim Parsons
Since its founding in 1978 as the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance, what today is now known as Preservation Houston, has worked to maintain the architectural history of the city. In fact in 1995, the non-profit was behind passage of the city’s first historic preservation ordinance and has worked to strengthen that ordinance through three mayoral administrations.
Almost from the beginning, the organization has been acknowledging those in the city who have worked toward preserving Houston’s early architectural integrity via the Good Brick Awards, which are presented each year at Preservation Houston’s Good Brick Awards dinner.
Recently that evening at River Oaks Country Club recognized more than a dozen essentially disparate projects and individuals for their contributions to the preservation of the city’s often endangered early architecture. Bob Eury, president of Central Houston Inc. for more than 30 years, received the President’s Award for his contributions in the revitalization of downtown Houston. Presenting the award, Preservation Houston president Deborah Keyser referred to Eury as “the real heartbeat of downtown Houston.”
With preservation and adaptive re-use as common characteristics the award recipients ranged from transformation of a former Gulf service station into a coffee shop to the repurposing of the former Waddell’s Furniture Warehouse into the Sampson Lofts in the East End. Restoration of homes in Audubon Place and the Heights and redevelopment an Art Deco commercial building (circa 1930) in the Heights into a bicycle shop.
The full spectrum of architectural awards and be found in the accompanying photos.
Also receiving honors were architect Ben Koush and Houston Mod for the book “Constructing Houston’s Future: The Architecture of Arthur Evan Jones & Lloyd Morgan Jones, “documenting the work on the now-defunct architecture firm. Delaney Harris-Finch, Anna Mod and Architecture Center Houston were honored for their exhibit and catalog “Houston: Uncommon Modern documenting modern-era architecture throughout Houston.”