- 1 hour 35 minutes (includes chill time)
- Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as a light entrée
Each summer I find myself a new salad that I obsess over and make again and again. This fast favorite was the dish I put together after I received a box filled with some of the freshest produce from Sustainable Harvesters, a local farm in Hockley. Cucumber, baby celery, carrots, jalapeños, and red onion are quickly pickled in an oil-free Vietnamese citrus dressing along with some poached shrimp. Hard-boiled eggs, fresh orange, and a drizzle of quality olive oil are all that’s needed to take this salad to another level. This bright entrée salad offers it all: crunch, sweet, sour, and heat – the four tenets I hold so dear in my cooking. The good news is you can enjoy this easy, healthy, and elegant dish all year long, too – not just during summer.” – Nicole Routhier, Le Colonial
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 red Thai chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
Shrimp and Vegetables
- 12 oz jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half (lengthwise)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 large seedless cucumber (about 12 to 14 oz), thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 red or green jalapeños, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup tender celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, each cut into 4 wedges
- 2 small oranges, sectioned
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing/pickling juice in a quart-size jar. Cover and shake vigorously to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set it aside.
- In a medium-size pot, bring 4 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil; turn off the heat and add the shrimp. Stir briefly, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp is just cooked through.
- Drain into a colander, and then plunge the shrimp into the bowl of ice water. After 5 minutes, drain shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the shrimp with half of the pickling juice. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- In a mixing bowl toss the cucumber, carrots, celery, red onion, jalapeño peppers, and celery leaves with the remaining pickling juice. Cover and refrigerate until the vegetables are well chilled, about 1 hour.
Assemble the Salad
- Place the egg wedges and shrimp on a platter.
- Distribute the pickled vegetables over the shrimp and eggs, then spoon some pickling juice on top.
- Scatter the orange sections atop the salad.
- Lightly season with salt; drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.