The Big “O”
- 90 minutes
Created a “few” years ago in honor of her brother Johnny’s 40th birthday, The Big “O” has been a fan favorite since The Dessert Gallery introduced it. What’s not to love?! Two creamy mousse layers – one white chocolate and one dark chocolate – are both filled with crushed Oreos™, and the whole creation is glazed with chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Mousse Layer
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 oz coffee liqueur
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 oz sugar
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 6 Oreo™ cookies, crushed
White Chocolate Mousse Layer
- 12 oz super-premium white chocolate (such as Divine Gloriously Creamy White Chocolate), chopped
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 6 Oreo™ cookies, crushed
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 8 miniature Oreo™ cookies
- 2 T. white jimmies sprinkles
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE LAYER
- Melt semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and butter in microwave one minute at a time, whisking after each minute until smooth.
- Cool melted chocolate and butter to room temp.
- Whisk egg yolks to blend.
- Once the chocolate mixture is cool, whisk in egg yolks, coffee liqueur, and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold ½ of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until well blended.
- Whip cream until medium peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. (Do not leave any white streaks in the mousse!)
- Fold crushed Oreos™ into chocolate mixture.
- Fill 6-8 parfait glasses HALF FULL with chocolate Oreo™ mousse.
- Freeze chocolate mousse layer until set. In the meantime, make the white chocolate mousse layer.
WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE LAYER
- Heat ½ cup of heavy cream in microwave.
- Add chopped white chocolate to the hot cream and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Whip ½ cup heavy cream until medium peaks form. (Do not overbeat or it won’t blend smoothly into melted white chocolate.)
- Fold whipped cream into COOLED white chocolate mixture. Add vanilla.
- Fold crushed Oreos™ into white chocolate mixture.
- Spoon white chocolate Oreo™ mousse on top of frozen chocolate mousse.
- Freeze white chocolate mousse layer until set. In the meantime, make the ganache.
- Melt chocolate and cream together. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon ganache over frozen white chocolate mousse until it’s level with the top of each parfait glass.
- Top each parfait with a whole mini Oreo™ for decoration and sprinkle with white jimmies to finish.
- Put finished parfaits in the fridge to set.
Parfaits can be made 1-2 days in advance.
Support Your Local Chef
3600 Kirby Drive #D
Houston, TX 77098 | Map
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.