- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 4
Go all out this Thanksgiving with Central Market’s Baked Apple Tart. Made with tart Granny Smiths and sweet Fujis, this addicting dessert delivers big thanks to its seasonal fruity flavors. And when made with rich and buttery homemade dough? Perfection.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 lb butter, cut into 1/2-in. pieces and well chilled
- 1/3 cup water (ice water 1/4 to 1/3 cup)
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 Fuji apples
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, preferably demerara
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, working it in with a mixer or by hand until the pieces are the size of tiny peas.
- Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing and mixing gently by hand until the dough is moist but not sticky.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough slightly larger than 10 x 10. Using a ruler and a small knife, trim the edges. Place the dough on a prepared sheet pan (lined with parchment paper) and refrigerate while you prepare the apples.
- Wash, dry, and core the apples. Thinly slice them into 1/8-in thick slices.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Arrange the apple slices on the dough in a checkerboard fashion, with grouped slices overlapping and alternating direction and color. Leave a ½-in border of pastry without apples.
- Melt the butter. Brush both the apples and pastry with the melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until the dough is nicely browned at the edges and the apples are just beginning to brown, 30 to 40 minutes, rotating as needed so the tart browns evenly. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.