- 18 minutes
- Serves 4
I grew up with chawanmushi. This is a dish my mom made a lot. I’m proud to honor her by serving this dish in the restaurant!” – Manabu “Hori” Horiuchi, Kata Robata
- 14 oz dashi
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
Marinade for Shrimp and Chicken
- 1 spoon soy sauce
- 1 spoon sake
- 2 ps shrimp
- 1 oz chicken thigh
- 3 ps shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- lemon zest
- (Sauce 1) Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and strain the liquid through a sieve.
- Cut shrimp and chicken into small pieces and marinate them well in the soy and sake mixture (about a minute or so).
- (Ingredients A) Put all the ingredients into a chawanmushi bowl, then mix with Sauce 1.
- Put on the lid and steam everything for about 10 minutes.
- Add Ingredients B on the top of chawanmushi. Ready to serve!
Note from the Chef: In the photo, the chawanmushi is topped with uni, which may be difficult to source right now. However, if you happen to have any on hand, it makes a great addition to the dish.
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.