- 45 minutes
- Serves 8 to 10
Our loaded potato salad is an homage to German Style potato salad with more mainstream loaded baked potato fixins. It’s perfect anytime of year and is great served hot or cold, which makes it very versatile. We serve it warm at the restaurant, but I’ve enjoyed the salad cold while sitting on a picnic blanket on a warm summer day. It’s a perfect BBQ pairing but goes well with many types of cuisines and is great for serving by the pool. During the ‘COVID era,’ I’ve found myself drawn to food that reminds me of my childhood. Simpler, happier times brought back in one bite of loaded potato salad.” – Erin Smith, Feges BBQ
- 10 Idaho potatoes
- 1.5 cups bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion, medium dice
- bacon fat (yield from cooking bacon above)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel the Idaho potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in a pot filled with water, to prevent browning on the potatoes while you finish peeling and cutting all potatoes.
- Boil the Idaho potatoes until fork tender. Remove from water and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a 350°F oven on a sheet pan until crispy. Let bacon cool, separate out and reserve bacon fat, and chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Mix together potatoes, bacon, sour cream, cheese, green onion, and bacon fat, being careful not to over-mix the potatoes, and keeping everything chunky. Season to taste.
- Serve warm with some cheddar cheese and green onions as a garnish, or serve chilled with green onion garnish.
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.