- 20 to 30 minutes
- Serves 1
This dish is a great way to start the day, or a simple, filling, and inexpensive meal to put together after a long day at work.” – Carlos E. Rodriguez, Saltgrass Steakhouse
- 1 piece sourdough sandwich bread, sliced thick
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 slices bacon, thick cut
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil, chopped
- 1 sprig basil
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, coarse ground, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- In a small bowl, toss the grape tomatoes with the olive oil. Add kosher salt to taste (approximately ½ teaspoon). Arrange the tomatoes on a small pan or cookie sheet, and place in the oven until they blister slightly and are cooked through. Remove from oven and let them cool. Add the chopped basil and toss together. Taste. Add more salt if needed. Reserve.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, or on a lined sheet pan in the oven, until crisp and cooked through. Reserve the bacon fat for the eggs.
- Spread the softened butter on one side of the bread. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Place the bread with the unbuttered side down to toast. After approximately 1 minute, flip the bread over. Cook for approximately 1 minute, or until the bread is well toasted and slightly crisp. Remove to plate with the buttered side up.
- Cut the avocado open. Remove the stone. Scoop the avocado meat into a small bowl. Mash with a fork. Season to taste with kosher salt and course ground black pepper.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the bread. Top with the cooked slices of bacon. Spoon the tomato mixture evenly over the toast.
- Heat an omelet pan. Add the reserved bacon fat. Place the eggs in the pan, season lightly with kosher salt and black pepper. Cook the eggs sunny side up (or any way you like them), until the whites have set. Place the eggs over the toast. Garnish with a sprig of basil.
Interested in submitting a recipe? Email Us.